2019 Educator Workshops
Alabama Rivers Book Workshops
Registration will open in March!
Alabama Rivers Book Workshops, funded by the Alabama Bicentennial Commission and based on Dr. Bill Deutsch’s newly released book Alabama Rivers, A Celebration and Challenge, are ideal for educators, outreach specialists, classroom teachers, and volunteers who work with 4th-12th grades.
These workshops are 1.5 days long. On the first day of the workshop, participants are taught activities and lesson plans included in the Alabama Rivers Companion Curriculum. The second day of the workshop will include an outdoor activity based at a local historical landmark, water-spot, or environmental center.
Join us as we travel down rivers through time to encounter the rich human history and natural wonders that have defined Alabama. Along the way, we will celebrate an array of magnificent rivers filled with unique plants and animals, shaped over the ages by a remarkably diverse geology. Accept the challenge to restore and protect our rivers for their economic, cultural, and ecological benefits, but most of all because it is the right thing to do.
(Text adapted from the back cover of Alabama Rivers, A Celebration and Challenge by Dr. Bill Deutsch)
Participants who complete an Alabama Rivers Book Workshop will receive:
- Certification as a facilitator of the Alabama Rivers Book Curriculum Companion
- A copy of the Alabama Rivers, A Celebration and Challenge by Dr. Bill Deutsch
- Access to online digital resources (presentations and other support materials)
- Support with the implementation of the Alabama Rivers curriculum
- Continuing Education Units from Auburn University
- Food and lodging during workshop
- Additional programming specific to the host environmental center (including activities such as farm tours, boat rides, and fun hikes!)
2019 Workshop Locations & Dates
Registration will open in March. Check back here for details on registration fees and lodging!
Camp McDowell Environmental Center
Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Office @ Five Rivers Delta Center
Spanish Fort, AL
Lee County Historical Society @ Pioneer Park
The Alabama Cooperative Extension System (Alabama & M and Auburn University), is an equal opportunity educator. Everyone is welcome!
Contact the AWW Office for more information: 888-844-4785 or email@example.com